Skip to main content

My Journal

I have been writing in a journal for many years. The other day someone saw me writing in my journal and asked me about my "system".  Here is the current iteration of what I do.

At first glance, it may look like my journal is a paper-based planner, but it is not.  A planner is for what you are planning to do.  My journal is for things that have already happened.   
Normally (for most other life changes) I would suggest you get started right now and then adjust your trajectory once you are moving forward.   However, in this case, I recommend you get the right equipment first.  It will be a much better experience.

Step 1: Get a good pen.

Yes, this is a bit geeky, but if you don't like your writing instrument then you will be less likely to pick it up and use it. I have a lot of nice pens that get cycled around based on how I am feeling so I don't have one favorite.  Get a pen that feels good in your hand and writes smoothly.  I prefer gel pens personally, but there are a couple of ink refills that I also really like.  You will notice that I focus on the refill, not the pen.  Find a pen that you like, then get a better refill for it. Most pens have low quality refills in them when they are sold.  My current go-to journal pen is the Parker Jotter XL.  The standard Jotter is a bit small for my liking and the XL feels nicer in my hand.
  • Gel Refills: 
    • I've tried a lot of gel refills and I keep coming back to the Parker gel refill.  They just seem to work better.  Also, most of my pens take Parker refills.  
    • I also like how the Cross gel refill flows, but it makes a bit too bold of a line for me.  
  • Ink pen Refills:
Step 2:  Get a good journal
  • Don't be cheap.  You will use it every single day.  Get a good one.  You won't regret it.  The daily marginal cost of a good one is very low.  $20 for 90 days is less than 25 cents per day.  It is worth it and you will enjoy the writing experience much more.  
  • Things that make a great notebook. 
    • Great writing paper makes for a great writing experience
    • Numbered pages (more on that later) 
    • Table of contents 
    • Quality binding so it lasts for three months. 
    • Great colors so you can mix it up a bit each quarter. 
    • Dotted pages, I don't like lined pages, they are too restrictive.  Having dots helps keep things neat and orderly 
    • You need at least 180 numbered pages.  I would say that 200 is the minimum.  
  • My favorite of all time is the Leuchtturm1917 Medium A5 Dotted Hardcover Notebook. I have tried several of them including the Moleskine and the much cheaper Minimalist Art (Amazon) the Leuchtturm is superior to both of them.  
  • Also, purchase a stick-on pen loop for the journal.  That way you won't have to look for a pen when you want to start writing.  You can find them on Amazon.  
Step 3: Set up your journal
  • Plan on getting a new journal every 3 months (quarterly).  You may be able to cram 4 months into one, but it won't leave any extra room.  
  • Put your contact information in the front.  Hopefully someone will call you if you misplace it.  
  • Save room for a table of contents.  The Leuchtturm has a built in TOC which is a nice feature.  
  • Put your quarterly goals in the front few pages.  That's another blog post for another day.  I set quarterly goals, not yearly goals.  Check out Michael Hyatt's discussion about this.  
  • Save a page or two in the back for your quarterly review.  
  • Save a bunch of pages at the end for doodling, pictures, and overflow.  
  • Set up three months worth of dates using the 2-page per day format as shown below.  
    • Today: This is where I record what I did for the day.  I found that I wanted to know what I did, not what I planned to do.  So this is where I write it down.  If you do it this way, then your activity list doesn't get mixed in with your journal-type entries.  (Note: I use military time.  It is easier for me) 
    • Big 3: This is another Michael Hyatt thing.   Identify your three must-do activities for the day and write them down at the start of each day.  Some people put these in their to-do list, but sometimes the most important activities can get lost in the long list.  Also, if I write them down I find that I'm more thoughtful about it.  
    • Prayer: A friend of mine gave me this idea.  How many times have you said that you would pray for someone, but when you get to a quiet place/time to pray you forget.  So, this is where I capture what I'm thinking about and praying for that day.  
    • I.A.T.F: This stands for I am Thankful For _______.  I got this idea from a post I read about having a gratitude journal.  It is very enlightening to pause and count your blessings several times a day.  
    • Best Thing:  There seems to be a lot of insight gained from pausing at the end of the day to think about the best thing that happened during the day.  The frustrations and negativity wash away as I ponder on the good things and try to pick the best one.  
    • Journal/Thoughts/Ideas/Notes: This is where I write my traditional journal-type entries.  You may ask, "But what if I run out of room?"  That's the beauty of using a notebook with numbered pages.  Just flip to the back of the notebook, find a blank page and keep writing.  Then go back to Today and make a note at the bottom.  Continued on page ____.  Easy! 


Step 4: Final thoughts

  • Keep you journal with you as much as you can.  You can't write in it if you don't have it.  
  • Write during the day as you go, don't wait until the evening.  You will end up with a much better journal if you write short entries multiple times.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking Scriptures in Gospel Library

The other day as I was reading my scriptures and using a few of the available colors to do some highlights when I realized that I wasn't fully utilizing the entire pallet of colors. In the Gospel Library app there are 10 colors available.  Each of these colors can be used in the underline, highlight, or text color mode.  I asked extended family what they do and one of my niece's responded with this color code: Red- doctrine Orange- clarifications or explanations of doctrine Yellow- commandments and specific instructions Purple- promised blessings and how to attain them Grey- power phrases Blue- favorites Dark blue- ones with a deeper meaning (I always attach a note with a dark blue)  Pink- examples of Gods love/charity Brown-specific for our day Green - Not used This "Come, Follow Me" color code seems to be all over Pinterest.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it is based on the 12 colors in a small box of crayons. Here is a color coding

No, I am not a vegan

Why I'm not a vegan (or a vegetarian for that matter).  After my previous post about the Word of Wisdom , I felt I should write an additional post covering this topic.  First, the word "vegetarian" means nothing.  There are so many levels, tangents, and offshoots of vegetarianism that applying the label to yourself or anyone only causes confusion.   Some vegetarians eat dairy, some don't.  Some eat fish, some don't.  Some eat eggs, some don't.  Some are weekday vegetarians, and some only honor meatless Monday.  And the list goes on and on.  Labeling yourself as a vegetarian is simply a label that brings on a confusing discussion.  So, I don't use it.   I'm not a vegan either.  You see, vegans typically fall into three categories: - They are in it for their own good health - They are doing it to be kind to animals, promote animal rights, avoid animal cruelty, etc.  - They are doing it do save the planet The trouble with many vegans

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same? I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following: Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($) Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish) Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry) Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture