Skip to main content

D&C 20:73 - Having Been Commissioned

As I listened to the baptismal prayer recently, a thought came to me.  What does it mean to be commissioned of Jesus Christ?  

"Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen." (D&C 20:73).  

Many years ago I received my commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Air force. I knew that my commission appointed me to my rank, gave me authority to perform certain duties, and officially charged me to function in that rank.  The Oath of Office is recited upon commissioning and is administered by a higher-ranking officer who will raise his or her right hand and recites the Oath of office aloud while the officer taking the oath repeats the words.  That oath states:  

“I [state your full name], having been appointed a (rank) in the United States Air Force, do solemnly swear  that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God”

This Oath of Office is required by federal law. But it has a greater meaning than simply reciting some words on a page. When you take the oath, your oath is your word. The Oath of Office serves to remind you of your obligation to serve your country.  

As I reflected on this experience and the statement “Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ” I realized that unlike taking the oath of office, I don’t remember standing with my arm raised and taking an oath when I received the Melchizedek priesthood.  I do remember sitting with hands laid on my head and having the priesthood conferred upon me.  I also remember that there is an oath and a covenant associated with the Melchizedek priesthood.  Did I somehow miss taking an oath?  
We gain some additional insight on this idea of the priesthood oath in this quote by Elder Renlund from the October 2017 LDS General Conference:  

"To each man who receives the Melchizedek Priesthood, God affirms His covenant promises with an oath. This oath pertains only to the Melchizedek Priesthood, and it is God who swears the oath, not the priesthood holder. Because this unique situation involves His divine power and authority, God uses an oath, employing the most forceful language He can, to assure us of the binding and irreversible nature of His promises. (Dale G. Renlund, The Priesthood and the Savior’s Atoning Power, October 2017 LDS General Conference.)  

When we receive the priesthood by confirmation, we are benefactors of the oath God has made with us as well as the blessings of the covenant.  So, why do we have the priesthood conferred upon us rather than taking an oath?  The Latin root of the word confer has two parts.  First “con” which means together and “ferre” which means to bring.  With that in mind, confer means to bring together as well as to give or to bestow.   So what does this confirmation bring together?  It appears to be helpful if we read the first phrase from D&C 20:73.  


"The person who is called of God and has authority from Jesus Christ to baptize, shall go down into the water with the person who has presented himself or herself for baptism, and shall say, calling him or her by name: Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen." (D&C 20:73)

Note that it states that the person performing the baptism must be both called of God and have authority from Jesus Christ.  The confirmation of the priesthood seems to bring together the call to serve, the authority to act, the appointment to the commission, the binding of God’s oath, and the promises of the covenant.  With this confirmation, we then can go forward and use this commission to bless the lives of others.  President Thomas S. Monson said:  

"Miracles are everywhere to be found when priesthood callings are magnified. When faith replaces doubt, when selfless service eliminates selfish striving, the power of God brings to pass His purposes. The priesthood is not really so much a gift as it is a commission to serve, a privilege to lift, and an opportunity to bless the lives of others." (Thomas S. Monson, Do your Duty - That is Best, October 2005 LDS General Conference) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking Scriptures in Gospel Library

The other day as I was reading my scriptures and using a few of the available colors to do some highlights when I realized that I wasn't fully utilizing the entire pallet of colors. In the Gospel Library app there are 10 colors available.  Each of these colors can be used in the underline, highlight, or text color mode.  I asked extended family what they do and one of my niece's responded with this color code: Red- doctrine Orange- clarifications or explanations of doctrine Yellow- commandments and specific instructions Purple- promised blessings and how to attain them Grey- power phrases Blue- favorites Dark blue- ones with a deeper meaning (I always attach a note with a dark blue)  Pink- examples of Gods love/charity Brown-specific for our day Green - Not used This "Come, Follow Me" color code seems to be all over Pinterest.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it is based on the 12 colors in a small box of crayons. Here is a color coding

No, I am not a vegan

Why I'm not a vegan (or a vegetarian for that matter).  After my previous post about the Word of Wisdom , I felt I should write an additional post covering this topic.  First, the word "vegetarian" means nothing.  There are so many levels, tangents, and offshoots of vegetarianism that applying the label to yourself or anyone only causes confusion.   Some vegetarians eat dairy, some don't.  Some eat fish, some don't.  Some eat eggs, some don't.  Some are weekday vegetarians, and some only honor meatless Monday.  And the list goes on and on.  Labeling yourself as a vegetarian is simply a label that brings on a confusing discussion.  So, I don't use it.   I'm not a vegan either.  You see, vegans typically fall into three categories: - They are in it for their own good health - They are doing it to be kind to animals, promote animal rights, avoid animal cruelty, etc.  - They are doing it do save the planet The trouble with many vegans

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same? I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following: Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($) Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish) Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry) Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture