Skip to main content

Electronic Journals

I am kind of a notebook junkie.  See my blog post on notebooks.
I have been keeping a notebook-based journal for many years, but recently I listened to a pod cast that suggested some ideas for an electronic journal.  While I'm not ready to make the switch completely, I do believe there are some benefits to journaling electronically.

Initially I came up with some ideas that might help make an electronic journal successful.

  • Create a template that you can replicate on each day.
  • Choose a method that will allow you to add to your journal with your phone, tablet, and desktop computer. 
  • Have brief journal sessions throughout the day.  Do it as inspiration strikes you.   

I did a search for some ideas on how to do an electronic journal and there are dozens of ideas out there.  My paper journal was turning into basically a daily log, Occasionally I would put down some thoughts and ideas, but mostly is was a list of the things I did.  I thought that my electronic journal should be something more. I wanted to take it up a level.

Here here is what I came up with for the headings on my journal template.
  • I am thankful for . . .
    • First be grateful.  Write down at least one thing you are feeling gratitude for. 
  • I am praying for . . .
    • A former bishop of mine told me he makes a list of things he needs to pray for so that when he kneels down at night he can review the list and not forget something.  I thought it was a good idea.  Having a short list of specific things to pray for helps keep my prayers from being repetitious. 
  • I got some exercise . . .
    • Get some exercise each day.  This is were I track it.  
  • What I am reading/listening to . . .
    • I read quite a lot of books every year.  Taking the time to think/write about what I am reading and what it meant to me helps to retain the information.  
  • Today's lesson learned . . .
    • You should learn something every day.  Sometimes I have to put some thought into it, but it is worth thinking through my day and finding those important learning moments in my life.  
  • My biggest win was . . .
    • Celebrate a success or two.  
  • Today's Big Idea/Question . . . 
    • There should always be a question in your mind, or a new idea.  Write it down so you don't lose it.  
  • Tomorrow . . . 
    • Ask yourself, what does tomorrow bring?  What do I need to be ready for?  If I capture it, then I don't have to think about it all night and it helps me sleep better.
  • Notes, thoughts, experiences, photos:
    • This is where I capture some of the more traditional journal-type entries.  I don't just put down a log of what I did, but I try to write down how I felt or what I experienced today that someone, someday may want to read.  
So, now let's get down to the application level.  What do I do?  I use Evernote.  I have created a journal notebook stack.  Each year is a notebook.  To keep things organized I use the naming convention of Y-M-D (2017-11-08) and sort the note list by title in reverse sort order.  That way, "today" is always at the top of the list.  In that same folder I also keep my template.  Each day I duplicate the template and rename it to the appropriate date.

There are other journal programs out there that are much more targeted at the task, but since I am an Evernote premium user it make sense to use the tools I already have. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking Scriptures in Gospel Library

The other day as I was reading my scriptures and using a few of the available colors to do some highlights when I realized that I wasn't fully utilizing the entire pallet of colors. In the Gospel Library app there are 10 colors available.  Each of these colors can be used in the underline, highlight, or text color mode.  I asked extended family what they do and one of my niece's responded with this color code: Red- doctrine Orange- clarifications or explanations of doctrine Yellow- commandments and specific instructions Purple- promised blessings and how to attain them Grey- power phrases Blue- favorites Dark blue- ones with a deeper meaning (I always attach a note with a dark blue)  Pink- examples of Gods love/charity Brown-specific for our day Green - Not used This "Come, Follow Me" color code seems to be all over Pinterest.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it is based on the 12 colors in a small box of crayons. Here is a color coding

No, I am not a vegan

Why I'm not a vegan (or a vegetarian for that matter).  After my previous post about the Word of Wisdom , I felt I should write an additional post covering this topic.  First, the word "vegetarian" means nothing.  There are so many levels, tangents, and offshoots of vegetarianism that applying the label to yourself or anyone only causes confusion.   Some vegetarians eat dairy, some don't.  Some eat fish, some don't.  Some eat eggs, some don't.  Some are weekday vegetarians, and some only honor meatless Monday.  And the list goes on and on.  Labeling yourself as a vegetarian is simply a label that brings on a confusing discussion.  So, I don't use it.   I'm not a vegan either.  You see, vegans typically fall into three categories: - They are in it for their own good health - They are doing it to be kind to animals, promote animal rights, avoid animal cruelty, etc.  - They are doing it do save the planet The trouble with many vegans

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same? I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following: Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($) Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish) Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry) Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture