Skip to main content

Spiritual Spectators


 general conference

     As LDS General Conference approaches this week I've been thinking about spiritual spectators.  Have some of us turned our personal spirituality into a spectator sport?  Do we, marvel at the demonstration of spiritual power during general conference by those we view as spiritual superstars and then lounge on the couch of spiritual listlessness? 

     Ponder this analogy. There are those who showed great athletic promise in high school but completely abandoned physical exercise somewhere in their 20's.  These Monday morning quarterbacks sit on the couch through the weekend watching college and professional sports to re-live what they perceive as their glory days.  They know all the plays, all the moves, their favorite athlete's statistics, and their training programs, yet they never apply any of that knowledge to their personal life.  Likewise, there are many returned missionaries in the Church who have spiritually done the same thing.  They spend their life re-living their missionary glory days while letting their spiritual power grow weak.  Consider this story about President Spencer W. Kimball:  

     "While visiting a stake conference, Elder Kimball listened to a group of Primary children sing “I Am a Child of God.” Soon after that, he commented on the song in a conversation with a member of the Primary General Board. “I love the children’s song,” he said, “but there is one word that bothers me. Would Sister Randall mind if the word know were changed to the word do?”
     "Sister Randall agreed to change the song. Now the chorus ends with the words “Teach me all that I must do to live with him someday.” These words reflect a principle that President Kimball emphasized throughout his ministry: “Celestial life may be had by every soul who will fulfil the requirements. To know is not enough. One must do. Righteousness is vital and ordinances are necessary.” He taught that the gospel is “a way of life, the plan of personal salvation, and is based upon personal responsibility. It is developed for man, the offspring of God. Man is a god in embryo and has in him the seeds of godhood, and he can, if he will, rise to great heights.” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church - Spencer W. Kimball, 2006, p.10) 

     To know is not enough.  Spiritual power does not come from knowing how to gain spiritual power, it comes from doing the things that you know. Just as you get no physical benefit from watching others exercise or participate in sports, you will get no spiritual benefit from watching conference from the sidelines.  

     Several years ago I stopped taking notes of General Conference.  While I believe there is great benefit to knowledge retention as you take notes, I realized that I had taken the wrong approach.  My goal was not to have a comprehensive list of notes of what was said in general conference.  I could get get talk summaries and notes from multiple locations on the Internet.  I decided that I would spend the time in general conference listening to both the speaker and the spirit.  If the speaker said to do something, then I would also listen carefully to the spirit.  General authorities and general officers of the Church are speaking to such a large audience, the list of things they tell us to do is very long.  So, I applied this test. If I felt prompted to do that thing the speaker said, then I would write it down in my notebook. When conference was over I ended up with a list of personalized to-do list rather than a compilation of speaker notes.  Then, rather than consider that list as a simple addition to my already too long to-do list, I looked at it as my personalized spiritual training program for the next 6 months.  

     Spiritual sloth won't lead for spiritual power any more than physical sloth leads to athletic prowess. There are no prizes for those who won't run the race [See Ecclesiastes 9:11 and Mosiah 4:27] 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking Scriptures in Gospel Library

The other day as I was reading my scriptures and using a few of the available colors to do some highlights when I realized that I wasn't fully utilizing the entire pallet of colors. In the Gospel Library app there are 10 colors available.  Each of these colors can be used in the underline, highlight, or text color mode.  I asked extended family what they do and one of my niece's responded with this color code: Red- doctrine Orange- clarifications or explanations of doctrine Yellow- commandments and specific instructions Purple- promised blessings and how to attain them Grey- power phrases Blue- favorites Dark blue- ones with a deeper meaning (I always attach a note with a dark blue)  Pink- examples of Gods love/charity Brown-specific for our day Green - Not used This "Come, Follow Me" color code seems to be all over Pinterest.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it is based on the 12 colors in a small box of crayons. Here is a color coding

No, I am not a vegan

Why I'm not a vegan (or a vegetarian for that matter).  After my previous post about the Word of Wisdom , I felt I should write an additional post covering this topic.  First, the word "vegetarian" means nothing.  There are so many levels, tangents, and offshoots of vegetarianism that applying the label to yourself or anyone only causes confusion.   Some vegetarians eat dairy, some don't.  Some eat fish, some don't.  Some eat eggs, some don't.  Some are weekday vegetarians, and some only honor meatless Monday.  And the list goes on and on.  Labeling yourself as a vegetarian is simply a label that brings on a confusing discussion.  So, I don't use it.   I'm not a vegan either.  You see, vegans typically fall into three categories: - They are in it for their own good health - They are doing it to be kind to animals, promote animal rights, avoid animal cruelty, etc.  - They are doing it do save the planet The trouble with many vegans

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same? I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following: Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($) Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish) Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry) Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture