Skip to main content

GTD + EN: 3 Key Tools



Here are three tools that have proven to be incredibly valuable in making my GTD+EN personal workflow run smoothly.

1. Evernote Web Clipper for Google Chrome. I use Chrome both at home and at work. Whenever I see something that needs to be reviewed/read later or something that I want to reference later, I just grab the web clipper and it sends the information straight into my inbox for processing. The proved particularly helpful when we planned our last vacation. I just put the maps, contact info, operating times, and ticket prices of the places we wanted to visit right into EN.

2. iPhone Evernote app. I am convinced that this system would not work without the iPhone app. It is the key to getting stuff out of my head and into the EN inbox. I put in items when I'm working out, sitting on the bus, in a meeting, and I have to admit that occasionally in church. Getting a note typed in is both fast and easy. I don't process items on the phone because it is too clunky, but I do use it to input notes and view my saved searches to remind me what to do next. I always process at a desk computer. I have also tried to process on the iPad, but it isn't much better than the iPhone. The reason that that I process on the computer is to sure the next action is clearly defined and all the tags for that note are in place. This is easier to do with a keyboard and a mouse.

3. Evernote e-mail address. At first I didn't see much value in this, now I'm not sure how it would work without it. I put that e-mail in my contacts list as "Evernote". Then, when I have an e-mail that needs action (either in my work or Gmail accounts), I simply send it to Evernote inbox for processing with all of the other "stuff" out of my head. After it is sent, then I file the e-mail into a folder in Outlook. That way, my inbox is almost always at zero. At first I had a bit of trouble with this system, because I would have to go find the e-mail to respond to after I finished the action required on that e-mail. However, with the search capabilities in Outlook and Gmail, this is not a problem. I can find e-mails in folders just as quickly as I used to try and find them in an inbox with all the other junk e-mails. Keep in mind, the entire e-mail is in Evernote. You know what the subject line is, just copy out of EN and paste it into the outlook search and the e-mail pops right up.


I would be interested in hearing about what tools you use to make the system work for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same?

I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following:


Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($)
Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish)
Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry)
Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture)




This …

Ponderize D&C 89:18-21 (15-21 May 16)

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;  19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;  20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.  21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.   D&C 89:18-21
When I read the promise of the Word of Wisdom I tend to take the pragmatic view:  Can you run and not be weary?  If not, then perhaps you need to check your obedience to the Word of Wisdom.   However it goes deeper than that.   In years past the Mormons where held up as having better health than the average American.  This is no longer the case.  We are not singled out as having better health as a people than any other group.  Why is that?  Perhaps it is that most of the people in the United States have come to the real…

Ponderize Mosiah 2:20-22 (8-14 May 2016)

20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another— 21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.
22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.  Mosiah 2:20-22
My Thoughts The first question that comes…