Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuck
For those who are fairly new to the idea of making money using social media, this book is an excellent tutorial. The author uses his story to help inspire you to cash in on your passion.
If you are looking for a "checklist" of how to make money on the internet, this probably isn't the book you are looking for. However, in appendix A he has a checklist. His list is 21 steps long. Let me give you the abbreviated version:
- Identify your passion
- Start a blog and write at least 50 blog entries
- Personal branding
- Get a web site, twitter account, FB account, etc. with your personal brand name
- Get professional help where you need it.
- Post lots of useful/free content
- Connect with others who have similar interests. Post/reply/respond
- Once your personal brand has gained sufficient attention and stickiness, then reach out to advertisers and monetize your brand.
Seems easy, but the real hard part is doing the work to generate content. Content is the king. It has to be something you are passionate about. Something that you would stay up at night to work on. Something that wakes you up in the morning and drags you to the computer to work on. Most people are not willing to do this much work.
One final note, the references to some of the social media web sites are a bit out of date. I sent the author a tweet suggesting he update the book and he replied that I should read his new book "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook". I thought it was great that he took the time to send me a short reply.