Skip to main content

Read The Book of Mormon Every Day

I've read the Book of Mormon many times.  I lost count many years ago.  Besides it doesn't really matter.  What does matter is that you read it every day.  During the October 2017 LDS General Conference, several speakers referenced a quote made by President Thomas S. Monson during the April Conference.  He said:

"I implore each of us to prayerfully study and ponder the Book of Mormon each day. As we do so, we will be in a position to hear the voice of the Spirit, to resist temptation, to overcome doubt and fear, and to receive heaven’s help in our lives."

Russell M. Nelson gave a talk titled, "The Book of Mormon: What Would Your Life Be Like without It?" In that talk he stated:

"Since President Monson’s challenge six months ago, I have tried to follow his counsel. Among other things, I’ve made lists of what the Book of Mormon is, what it affirms, what it refutes, what it fulfills, what it clarifies, and what it reveals. Looking at the Book of Mormon through these lenses has been an insightful and inspiring exercise! I recommend it to each of you."

Elder Nelson is a person who could have easily thought President Monson's counsel to read the book of Mormon every day did not really apply to him, since he was already doing it.  However, he seemed to ask himself the question, "What lack I yet?"  He received inspiration and then acted on that inspiration. 

President Henry B. Eyring also addressed this topic in his talk titled "Fear Not to Do Good".

"Like many of you, I heard the prophet’s words as the voice of the Lord to me. And, also like many of you, I decided to obey those words. Now, since I was a young boy, I have felt the witness that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, that the Father and the Son appeared and spoke with Joseph Smith, and that ancient Apostles came to the Prophet Joseph to restore priesthood keys to the Lord’s Church."
“With that testimony, I have read the Book of Mormon every day for more than 50 years. So perhaps I could reasonably have thought that President Monson’s words were for someone else. Yet, like many of you, I felt the prophet’s encouragement and his promise invite me to make a greater effort."

So, with this second and third spiritual nudge I decided I should raise the bar on my daily Book of Mormon reading.  My first thought was that it doesn't matter if you wrote the book on studying the Book of Mormon, you still need to read it every day.  As I pondered my daily scripture study habits I realized that I had not physically picked up the Book of Mormon and read it from cover to cover by myself for several years.  Most of my scripture study was topical and most of my Book of Mormon reading was with my family. 

I needed a kick start.  So I looked at the calendar and realized that there were 91 days left in the year.  I sat down and read the introductory material.  Then I decided I needed a 90 day reading plan.  There are dozens of them on-line, but I found a very cool tool at http://www.ldsscripturetools.com/. Go check it out.  You can tell it what book of scripture you want to read and how many days you want to get it read.  It spits out a daily schedule for you.  My 90 day plan stated that I needed to read 2.9 chapters/day or 5.9 pages/day to finish the Book of Mormon by December 31st.  That's easy.  I printed the reading chart and I was ready.  Except for one more mall detail.  When? 

Answering this question took a bit of thought.  You can't simply start doing something every day without giving up something.  15 minutes of scripture reading time just doesn't magically appear because you have a fancy new reading chart.  I thought through my day and decided it was best to read first thing in the morning.  That way there is time to recover if I forget.  I value my sleep too much to even think about giving up 15 minutes of sleep, but as I thought through my morning routine I found some wasted time that could easily be manipulated to clear 15 minutes in my schedule.  Now, with both a plan and a path I was ready to go. 

Let's see what happens.  I'll post some of my thoughts here as I journey through my 90 day reading challenge. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking Scriptures in Gospel Library

The other day as I was reading my scriptures and using a few of the available colors to do some highlights when I realized that I wasn't fully utilizing the entire pallet of colors. In the Gospel Library app there are 10 colors available.  Each of these colors can be used in the underline, highlight, or text color mode.  I asked extended family what they do and one of my niece's responded with this color code: Red- doctrine Orange- clarifications or explanations of doctrine Yellow- commandments and specific instructions Purple- promised blessings and how to attain them Grey- power phrases Blue- favorites Dark blue- ones with a deeper meaning (I always attach a note with a dark blue)  Pink- examples of Gods love/charity Brown-specific for our day Green - Not used This "Come, Follow Me" color code seems to be all over Pinterest.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it is based on the 12 colors in a small box of crayons. Here is a color coding

No, I am not a vegan

Why I'm not a vegan (or a vegetarian for that matter).  After my previous post about the Word of Wisdom , I felt I should write an additional post covering this topic.  First, the word "vegetarian" means nothing.  There are so many levels, tangents, and offshoots of vegetarianism that applying the label to yourself or anyone only causes confusion.   Some vegetarians eat dairy, some don't.  Some eat fish, some don't.  Some eat eggs, some don't.  Some are weekday vegetarians, and some only honor meatless Monday.  And the list goes on and on.  Labeling yourself as a vegetarian is simply a label that brings on a confusing discussion.  So, I don't use it.   I'm not a vegan either.  You see, vegans typically fall into three categories: - They are in it for their own good health - They are doing it to be kind to animals, promote animal rights, avoid animal cruelty, etc.  - They are doing it do save the planet The trouble with many vegans

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same? I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following: Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($) Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish) Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry) Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture