And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith. Moroni 6:4
This scripture helps us remember our responsibility to new members of the church. Here are some thoughts I gleaned from this scripture.
- Keep a record of them so we will remember them. How can we help those we are not aware of?
- Help them be nourished by the good word of God. This means that we must teach the word of God, not the philosophies of men.
- Help them stay on the path. Encourage them, watch over them, and serve them.
- Pray for them and help them remember to pray.
- Rely upon Christ to help them grow in the faith.
The phrase “author and finisher of their faith” reminds us that he is both the beginning and the end of their faith. It is his plan of happiness and he also enabled the plan by doing his part and finishing His Father’s work. (Reference D&C 88:106) Think of finishing in terms of one who completes or perfects the work.
This scripture reminds me of the quote we have all heard many times by President Gordon B. Hinkley.
Quote: Gordon B. Hinkley