Skip to main content

GTD + Evernote

I'm going to start a series of posts on my experience with Evernote (EN)and the Getting Things Done (GTD) system by David Allen.  It has been a bit of a journey of discovery for me, so maybe what I have learned will help someone else.

To begin, I have been a fan a GTD for many years.  While I admit that I have been a bit on again/off again with the entire system, personal work flow has been tied to the GTD workflow for many years.  The two-minute rule and "Do it, Delegate it, Defer it" have helped me keep my e-mail inbox at zero.

A couple of months ago I started a new job and decided that it was also time to get re-engaged fully with GTD.   The good thing is that GDT is not dependent on any software or system.  You can make it work with an inbox, a few folders and a note pad.  However, some of us like to geek it up a bit.

About a year ago I tried Evernote and it just didn't seem to be the application that I needed.   I was looking for a better system than the "Notes" app on my iPhone.  It just looked overly complicated.

The idea to give Evernote another try came from listening to a podcast call "Beyond the To Do List" Many of the people he interviewed on the show were using EN and GTD so I decided to give it another try.

Now that I have used it for a couple of months I have to say that I rank it as one of my go-to apps.  The key for me to making GTD work is the ability to get an idea/thought/problem/task out of my head and into the "system".   David Allen is a big fan of a small pad of paper and a pen.  However, that never seemed to work for me and I kept lugging things around in my brain.  

The best thing about EN is that I can do a brain dump almost anywhere.  It has a quick interface in the iPhone/iPad app to type a quick note.  You can also e-mail a note to yourself.  This comes in handy when I'm emptying my e-mail inbox.  If an e-mail needs action, I simply send it to my EN inbox for processing.  But wait, that is not all.  The cool factor of EN for the iPhone is the camera interface.  I can take a picture and it sends it to my in-box.  I don't use this feature very much, but when I do it is great.  For example, taking a picture of the white board after a meeting and having it filed with the rest of the project notes.  

The next few posts will show how I set up and am using EN to make GTD work for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking Scriptures in Gospel Library

The other day as I was reading my scriptures and using a few of the available colors to do some highlights when I realized that I wasn't fully utilizing the entire pallet of colors. In the Gospel Library app there are 10 colors available.  Each of these colors can be used in the underline, highlight, or text color mode.  I asked extended family what they do and one of my niece's responded with this color code: Red- doctrine Orange- clarifications or explanations of doctrine Yellow- commandments and specific instructions Purple- promised blessings and how to attain them Grey- power phrases Blue- favorites Dark blue- ones with a deeper meaning (I always attach a note with a dark blue)  Pink- examples of Gods love/charity Brown-specific for our day Green - Not used This "Come, Follow Me" color code seems to be all over Pinterest.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it is based on the 12 colors in a small box of crayons. Here is a color coding

No, I am not a vegan

Why I'm not a vegan (or a vegetarian for that matter).  After my previous post about the Word of Wisdom , I felt I should write an additional post covering this topic.  First, the word "vegetarian" means nothing.  There are so many levels, tangents, and offshoots of vegetarianism that applying the label to yourself or anyone only causes confusion.   Some vegetarians eat dairy, some don't.  Some eat fish, some don't.  Some eat eggs, some don't.  Some are weekday vegetarians, and some only honor meatless Monday.  And the list goes on and on.  Labeling yourself as a vegetarian is simply a label that brings on a confusing discussion.  So, I don't use it.   I'm not a vegan either.  You see, vegans typically fall into three categories: - They are in it for their own good health - They are doing it to be kind to animals, promote animal rights, avoid animal cruelty, etc.  - They are doing it do save the planet The trouble with many vegans

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same? I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following: Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($) Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish) Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry) Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture