Skip to main content

GTD + EN: Notebook Setup

Notebook Setup in Evernote

In my last post I indicated that I am using notebooks to sort out the "What" context.


By using notebook stacks, you can quickly organize your notebooks into meaningful categories.  

If you don't know how to create a notebook stack, here is a short video.  

Keep in mind that I only create a notebook when I need a place to put a note.  I would advise against creating a whole bunch of notebooks that you think you might need someday.  You will end up with a bunch of empty notebooks that keep nagging you to put something in them.  This same advice goes for tags.  Build your tags and your notebooks when you have a need for them.  If you use this method, your entire system will feel more useful.


I number my notebook stack in order to keep them organized.    


1-Inbox
This is a notebook and not a stack.  Everything goes through this notebook.  This is my electronic in-box.  I forward e-mails that need action into this box.  The web clipper dumps into this box.  Photos come through this box.  And all my random thoughts and ideas will pass through here.  The key to making GTD work with EN is having the discipline to dump the stuff out of your brain into this box.  If you can get it in here, then the system will take care of the rest.  

2-Work

In this stack I have one notebook for every project I am working on at work.  I have a separate project management software at work, so project planning and execution is handled in that software.  This contains My work and My actions.  I also added a Tasks notebook to dump random tasks in that don't seem to have a place to land.  

3-Home and Family

I put things like vacations, major house projects, finances and other miscellaneous things related to my family.  

4-My Projects

Anything I am currently working on goes in this stack.  Books I'm writing.  Ideas about cool stuff I could do.  Major purchase research.  Personal improvement.  

5-Personal

You might ask yourself why I need this stack.  This one is more of a personal reference stack.  It has notebooks for my goals, passions, hobbies, and personal reference material.  

6-Church

This stack contains notebooks for my church work.  A notebook to capture inspirational thoughts.  And notebooks for any talks, lessons, or presentations that I give.  

7-Contacts

Right now this is just a single notebook and not a stack.  I keep my contact list on my phone.  This notebook contains scanned business cards and phone lists that I may need some day, but don't wan to take the time to enter every one of them into my contact list.  

8-Archive

This is where notebooks go after I am done with them, but before I send them to the trash.  I may keep the notebook for a couple of months, or a couple of years before I move it.  Reviewing what is in this stack is part of my annual review.  

Trash

This is the system trash folder.  I only empty this folder every few months.  If space ever gets to be a premium, I guess I'll empty it more often. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking Scriptures in Gospel Library

The other day as I was reading my scriptures and using a few of the available colors to do some highlights when I realized that I wasn't fully utilizing the entire pallet of colors. In the Gospel Library app there are 10 colors available.  Each of these colors can be used in the underline, highlight, or text color mode.  I asked extended family what they do and one of my niece's responded with this color code: Red- doctrine Orange- clarifications or explanations of doctrine Yellow- commandments and specific instructions Purple- promised blessings and how to attain them Grey- power phrases Blue- favorites Dark blue- ones with a deeper meaning (I always attach a note with a dark blue)  Pink- examples of Gods love/charity Brown-specific for our day Green - Not used This "Come, Follow Me" color code seems to be all over Pinterest.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it is based on the 12 colors in a small box of crayons. Here is a color coding

No, I am not a vegan

Why I'm not a vegan (or a vegetarian for that matter).  After my previous post about the Word of Wisdom , I felt I should write an additional post covering this topic.  First, the word "vegetarian" means nothing.  There are so many levels, tangents, and offshoots of vegetarianism that applying the label to yourself or anyone only causes confusion.   Some vegetarians eat dairy, some don't.  Some eat fish, some don't.  Some eat eggs, some don't.  Some are weekday vegetarians, and some only honor meatless Monday.  And the list goes on and on.  Labeling yourself as a vegetarian is simply a label that brings on a confusing discussion.  So, I don't use it.   I'm not a vegan either.  You see, vegans typically fall into three categories: - They are in it for their own good health - They are doing it to be kind to animals, promote animal rights, avoid animal cruelty, etc.  - They are doing it do save the planet The trouble with many vegans

Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?

It is time for the showdown.  Which one is best: Bajio, Cafe Rio, or Costa Vida?  Or is it (as was my opinion) that they are all exactly the same? I decided to do a taste test.  Six people participated.  Three were salad testers and three were burrito testers.  None of the people who participated have any food judging experience although a couple of them have competed in cooking contests and have a couple of first place finishes to their name.   Each couple went to a different restaurant and picked up a Sweet Pork Salad and an Steak Burrito to go.  We ordered each salad with black beans and their creamy green dressing (whatever they happened to call it).  The steak burritos were ordered enchilada style with black beans. Then we all met at a central location and judged each dish on the following: Value Score = Weight (oz)/Cost($) Overall Appeal (visual appeal, aroma, garnish) Recipe (Cooking, ingredient combination, too moist or dry) Taste (Flavor combination, Seasoning, Texture